BA Social Sciences (BASS)
The BASS courses allow you to sample a broad range of social science subjects in Year 1 before you specialise in Year 2 and 3.
- You don’t need to have studied social sciences before, we are more interested in your motivation and interest in the subjects.
- In your first year, you gain a broad and solid introduction to the social sciences.
- In Years 2 and 3, you select from a range of pathways and options across subject areas.
- You benefit from the expertise of other departments, such as Criminology.
- interactive learning and studying experience to help you develop knowledge and understanding appropriate to your specialisation;
- learning experiences that are based on and informed by current research;
- help you develop an awareness of the contribution of the social sciences to understanding contemporary society;
- preparation for postgraduate study if that’s right for you;
- a range of invaluable transferable skills that prepare you for employment.
You have the option of boosting your employability through a paid professional placement year.
You will apply in Year 1 and 2, complete your placement in Year 3, and return to University for Year 4.
The degree title will include 'with Professional Experience', giving you the added advantage of relevant work experience when entering the competitive graduate jobs market.
For more information, please see our 'benefits of a placement year' page.
Studying Sociology and Criminology [as part of the BA Social Sciences] at University has been one of the wisest steps I have ever taken. I enjoy learning about society [and] having such an array of units to choose from.Robert Varley / BASS student (Sociology and Criminology)
Talk to our Undergraduate Admissions Office to find out more.
Browse all our 2021 undergraduate courses.
Find your country requirements.
Calvin tells us why he chose BASS at Manchester.