How to Apply
The University of Manchester has an Internationally renowned reputation for producing world-class research. The School of Social Sciences is no different.
Within the School, our research extends across eight main departments. This provides you with research opportunities across a broad spectrum of social science related areas. Our community of academics are experts within their fields and many lead research that has a global impact.
If successful with your application you will be joining a thriving research community within the School. Our students regularly produce research that promotes positive change within their respective areas and for society as a whole.
If you are interested in applying for one of our PhD research opportunities we encourage you to take a look at the information below before you submit a formal application.
Application intake points
- The majority of applications need to be made online via our online application system - APPLY NOW.
- Application intake points are the months where our students register and begin their PhD journey each year.
- Some of our programmes offer both a September and a January intake point, whilst some only offer a September intake point. We would advise that you check your programmes specific requirements to confirm.
- Whilst completing your application form you will be able to state for which intake point you wish your application to be considered.
- Our applications are processed for our two main intake points, September and January (if applicable).
- You must submit your application before the relevant deadline to be considered. You will not be able to apply after these deadlines have passed.
For September 2023 entry: 30 June 2023
For January 2024 entry: 30 September 2023
- All of our funding deadlines are our School's internal deadlines for your application to be sent to us. After the dates stated below we will then process your application internally and inform you of the outcome.
- We will be unable to consider any application for funding after the dates stated below.
- If you are interested in one of our funding opportunities, we would encourage you to apply online as soon as possible.
University of Manchester Internal Scholarships
- Politics - 1 December 2022
- Economics - Ongoing (We would encourage an early application)
- Sociology - 1 December 2022
- Social Anthropology - 1 December 2022
- Social Statistics - 1 December 2022
- Criminology - 1 December 2022
- Law - 1 December 2022
- Philosophy – 13 January 2023
- All Departments – 1 March 2023
- All Departments - 1 February 2023
- All Departments – 3 February 2023
China Scholarship Council Joint Awards
- All Departments – 16 January 2023
- As a general rule, we would encourage you to apply as early as possible within the application window for all our funding opportunities
- We receive the majority of applications between October and December
- A comprehensive list of our University-wide funding opportunities can be found on our funding page