BA Social Sciences (BASS) - how it works
If it’s flexibility and choice you are after, consider our BA Social Sciences degree (BASS).
The BA Social Sciences degree (BASS) allows you to sample a broad range of social science subjects in your first year before you narrow down your focus in your second and third years.
The benefits of the BASS
You don’t need to have studied social sciences before. We are more interested in motivation and interest in the subjects on offer.
- In your first year, the BASS will give you a broad and solid introduction to the social sciences.
- In Years 2 and 3 you can select from a range of pathways and options across six subject areas Economics, Philosophy, Politics, Social Anthropology, Social Statistics and Sociology.
- You will benefit from expertise of other Schools where appropriate; in particular the School of Law for our courses that feature criminology.
If you choose the BASS we can:
- provide an interactive learning and studying experience to encourage you to develop knowledge and understanding appropriate to your specialisation;
- offer learning experiences that are based on and informed by current research;
- help you develop an awareness of the contribution of the social sciences to understanding contemporary society;
- prepare you for further postgraduate study if that’s right for you;
- encourage a range of invaluable transferable skills that will prepare you for employment.
Calvin tells us why he chose the BASS at Manchester.
Talk to us
Contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office if you would like to find out more.
Browse all our 2018 undergraduate courses.
Find out what we require from anyone applying from your country.
Studying Sociology and Criminology [as part of the BA Social Sciences] at University has been one of the wisest steps I have ever taken. I enjoy learning about society [and] having such an array of modules to choose from.Robert Varley / BASS student (Sociology and Criminology)