Research with impact
The School of Social Sciences at Manchester is committed to research that makes a contribution to addressing some of the major social, economic and political challenges that face the UK and the world.
Find out how we're making a difference at a local, national and international level and get involved.
Our areas of impact
Our research has shaped policy-making and practice in diverse areas, from gender equality and fair trade, to sustainable consumption and economic growth.
Socio-economic change and innovation
- The mathematics of behaviour
- Making useful data safe
- Policy to drive economic growth
- Culture class and participation
Population change and ageing
Inequality and poverty
- Helping governments to help their poor
- Challenging myths about race, segregation and diversity
- Gender equality in politics and policy
- Informing international employment policies for gender equality
- Improving employment outcomes for ethnic minority groups
- Challenging policy debates on ethnic inequalities in health
Sustainable practices and climate change
- Our role in post-war Lebanese task-force
- Stimulating sustainable consumption
- Justice and the future of flood insurance
- Tracking the climate disadvantaged
- The case for eliminating the milk quota
Elections, participation and governance
- Elections, youth representation and citizenship
- Reform of Greece's core executive structures
- The politics of diversity
- Good causes - what motivates people?
- Art exhibition drives debate
- Making world trade fairer
- Stability in the aftermath of the financial crisis