Why study here?
We are ranked seventh in the UK for economics and econometrics in the QS World University Rankings 2019.
A rich and vibrant student experience
- We are committed to excellence in teaching at the undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Our teaching is award-winning and makes use of innovative techniques and technologies.
- Your learning will be research-informed, making sure that you have access to current theories and thinking.
- Your learning will be supported with online materials, active discussion boards and online videos.
- The computer clusters are loaded with the software you’ll need to model and analyse the world around you. We have a particular strength in helping you learn data analysis and econometrics skills with R.
- The Department supports a range of very active student societies who organise outstanding events for students.
- You will have the opportunity to help younger students with your learning experience (peer support).
- You will receive excellent training and develop skills which set you apart in the job market.
Our global reputation and excellence in research
- We have a proud history of world-leading research.
- Three Nobel prize winners have worked within Economics in the University: John Hicks (1972), Arthur Lewis (1979) and Joseph Stiglitz (2001).
- Read more about Economics at Manchester's rich heritage.
- Our current staff are leaders in their fields.
In REF 2014, Manchester Economics was ranked 7th out of 28 Economics Departments in terms of research power (Grade Point Average multiplied by FTE).
Overall, 75% of our activity was rated as world-leading or internationally excellent (achieving a 4* or 3*).
- We'll help you to keep focused on your future. Whether you're aiming for a career in Finance or Business, or want to contribute as economists to governments, charities or inter-governmental institutions. Maybe you want to take your research a stage further?
- Find out more about careers and employability.