Why study here?
We are ranked seventh in the UK for economics and econometrics in the QS World University Rankings 2019.
A rich and vibrant student experience
- We are committed to excellence in teaching at the undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Our teaching is award-winning and makes use of innovative techniques and technologies.
- Your learning will be research-informed, making sure that you have access to current theories and thinking.
- Your learning will be supported with online materials, active discussion boards and online videos.
- The computer clusters are loaded with the software you’ll need to model and analyse the world around you. We have a particular strength in helping you learn data analysis and econometrics skills with R.
- The Department supports a range of very active student societies who organise outstanding events for students.
- You will have the opportunity to help younger students with your learning experience (peer support).
- You will receive excellent training and develop skills which set you apart in the job market.
Our global reputation and excellence in research
- We have a proud history of world-leading research.
- Three Nobel prize winners have worked within Economics in the University: John Hicks (1972), Arthur Lewis (1979) and Joseph Stiglitz (2001).
- Read more about Economics at Manchester's rich heritage.
- Our current staff are leaders in their fields.
- We'll help you to keep focused on your future. Whether you're aiming for a career in Finance or Business, or want to contribute as economists to governments, charities or inter-governmental institutions. Maybe you want to take your research a stage further?
- Find out more about careers and employability.