We support the research and teaching strategy through high-quality publications and research-led teaching.
Our research interests include:
- choice under risk/uncertainty and applications of ambiguity preferences;
- behavioural and experimental economics;
- industrial organisation;
- public economics and political economy;
- risk and insurance economics;
- game theory and applications;
- information economics, contracts, social choice, mechanism design;
- mathematical finance (in particular, evolutionary finance);
- random dynamical systems in economics and finance;
- evolutionary games; and
- stochastic models of economic equilibrium.
Some research is at the boundary between economics and other disciplines including mathematics, poverty measurement and modern political economy. Reflecting the broad interests and interdisciplinary focus of the group.
We also contribute to publications in major economic journals, including:
- Annals of Finance;
- Economic Journal;
- Economic Theory;
- Environmental and Resource Economics;
- European Economic Review;
- European Journal of Operational Research;
- Experimental Economics;
- Games and Economic Behavior;
- International Journal of Game Theory;
- International Journal of Industrial Organization;
- International Review of Finance;
- Journal of Banking and Finance;
- Journal of Dynamics and Games;
- Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization;
- Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control;
- Journal of Economic Theory;
- Journal of Health Economics;
- Journal of Industry Competition and Trade;
- Journal of Law, Economics and Organization;
- Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications;
- Journal of Mathematical Economics;
- Journal of Monetary Economics;
- Journal of Policy Analysis and Management;
- Journal of Portfolio Management;
- Journal of Public Economic Theory;
- Journal of Risk and Financial Management;
- Journal of Theoretical Biology;
- Mathematics and Financial Economics;
- Mathematical Social Sciences;
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences;
- Social Choice and Welfare;
- Theoretical Economics;
- Theory and Decision.
- Economic Theory (Member of the Editorial Board: Leonidas Koutsougeras).
- Economic Theory Bulletin (Member of the Editorial Board: Leonidas Koutsougeras).
- Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications (Associate Editor: Klaus R Schenk-Hoppé).
- Journal of Risk and Uncertainty (Advising Editor: Horst Zank).
- Mathematical Social Sciences (Member of the Editorial Board: Antonio Nicoló).
- Management Science (Horst Zank).
- Sustainability (Associate Editor: Klaus R Schenk-Hoppé).
- The Manchester School (Associate Editor: Carlo Reggiani).
- Theory and Decision (Board of Coordinating Editors: Antonio Nicoló, Horst Zank).
- Economic Theory Group lead.
- Horst Zank (Research, teaching and strategy).
- Igor Evstigneev - mathematical economics and finance, behavioural and evolutionary finance, economic theory, random dynamical systems, stochastic optimisation and games.
- Omer Ehdan - game theory, evolutionary games and stochastic processes.
- Leonidas Koutsougeras - economic theory, general equilibrium, financial economics, asymmetric information, imperfect competition.
- Antonio Nicolò – mechanism design, social choice theory, political economy.
- Mario Pezzino - applied microeconomic theory, industrial organisation.
- Carlo Reggiani - industrial organisation, competition policy, microeconomics.
- Klaus Schenk-Hoppe – financial economics, financial markets and trading, computational economics and finance, dynamic economic theory, random dynamic systems theory.
- Alejandro Saporiti - microeconomic theory, political economy, social choice.
- Chris Wallace - game theory and information.
- Craig Webb - preference foundations, ambiguity preferences and applications, time preferences, game theory.
- Horst Zank - foundations for risk and time preferences, uncertainty and ambiguity, behavioural economics, experimental economics, game theory, welfare and poverty measurement.
- Indranil Dutta - development economics, poverty measurement, welfare and deprivation, corruption and conflict, political economy.
- Roger Hartley - economic theory, game theory, aggregative games, individual decision-making under risk.
- Paul Madden - public and welfare economics, the economics of crime and corruption, imperfect competition, oligopsony/oligopoly models, industrial organisation, the economics of professional sport.