Socially responsible graduates
We produce graduates who are skilled and knowledgeable workers who can exercise important ethical, social and environmental responsibilities.
Find out about some new initiatives that are putting social responsibility at the heart of our teaching and learning.
Building awareness and skills
You are invited to join in with many social responsibility initiatives during your time with us.
Manchester Leadership Programme
The Manchester Leadership Programme is unique to The University of Manchester and combines academic study and volunteering to ensure you learn the importance of leadership that promotes social, economic and environmental sustainability and gain an insight into some of the key challenges facing 21st-century society.
University College for Interdisciplinary Learning
Our University College for Interdisciplinary Learning encourages you to broaden your educational horizons by taking programmes outside of your discipline in areas of profound social importance.
Opportunities for engagement
- Students can also access our dedicated student volunteering and community engagement team.
- We're home to the UK's largest Students' Union, which encourages you to manage and participate in community-focused projects. This includes working with people of all ages, the homeless and educational bodies.
- We also support you in setting up a social enterprise through funding and competitions with The University of Manchester Innovation Company, UMI3.
You have the opportunity to study abroad, holding many benefits including:
- broadening your horizons;
- improving language skills and becoming more culturally aware;
- gaining fresh perspectives on your subject area and on higher education.