Requesting changes - forms and guidance

These application forms can be used to request changes to your programme.

Requests may include:

  • changing your programme to another programme
  • changing your mode of attendance e.g. from full-time to part-time
  • request to interrupt your programme
  • request to withdraw from your programme
  • submission of mitigating circumstances and extension requests for assessed essays and dissertations
  • notice to submit your dissertation
  • request to change your course units

If you have any queries you can contact us at

You can also visit our Student Hub which is located on the ground floor of the Arthur Lewis Building and open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm.

Course unit change form

Any students wishing to change optional course units from those already chosen at the start of semester 1 should complete the form below and return it to your Postgraduate Administrator. The deadline for changing course units is outlined in your programme handbook

Request to change mode of attendance

To officially change your registration status you will need to complete the form below in consultation with your Programme Director. Your completed form should be submitted to your Programme Administrator to arrange approval. The outcome of your application will be communicated to you by email from your Programme Administrator.

If you are here on a tier 4 visa, please check your visa to see if it allows a change in your mode of attendance.

Mitigating circumstances and extension requests

Help and support

Whatever difficulty you're experiencing you don’t need to face it alone. If you are having problems the first thing to do is to talk to someone so don’t be afraid to get in touch with us.

There is a wealth of support available to you, offering practical advice and help throughout your time at University.

Your support network

Your Postgraduate Support Office

From registration to graduation, the Postgraduate Team will be here at every point to support and guide you through your programme in Manchester.

We have an enormous amount of experience so don’t hesitate to contact us. Make us your first port of call for any queries you have regarding your academic progress or personal welfare.

How we can help:

  • assessment queries;
  • appeals and complaints;
  • course unit selection queries;
  • coursework submission;
  • examination queries;
  • feedback;
  • interruption queries;
  • mitigating circumstances;
  • signposting to specialised support;
  • timetable queries.

Our office is based on the third floor of the Williamson Building, Room 3.05.

The office is open Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 4.30pm. Staff work on a hybrid basis so check our contacts page for working patterns.

Academic advising

Academic advising is an efficient way of establishing a personal and motivating relationship with an academic member of staff. Your academic advisor will work with you to build a personal relationship based on matters of academic development and progress. Do get in touch with them. More information is available in your handbook.

You should take note that your academic advisors are not 'personal tutors'. Pastoral support is provided through a variety of means and your advisor will be able to refer you to these. Visit our Student Support Pages for more information.

Mitigating circumstances

We understand that illnesses and difficult or distressing personal circumstances can occur as part of everyone's life and that these issues may have a profound effect on your studies.

This is a normal part of life and you mustn’t be afraid to contact us if you find yourself in a difficult situation.

We have a mitigating circumstances procedure in place that means we can make sure you get the support you need to get you back on track. Don’t sit in your room and worry about things. If something is upsetting you, then it’s not trivial, come and see us.

University policy on late submission

If you submit your course work/essays late and without an agreed extension in place, there is a penalty of 10 marks per day (sliding scale) applied for up to 5 days. So, for example, if you submit your course work 2 days late, 20 marks will be deducted after the examination. A day includes weekends and weekdays.

Extensions to the submission deadline can be granted to students where there are exceptional mitigating circumstances (eg compelling medical reasons). The application must be submitted before the due date of your work.

Applying for mitigating circumstances

It’s important that you notify us of any problems when they occur so that we can put appropriate support in place for you. You can notify us through the following steps:

  1. Talk to someone in your support network about your situation and/or submit mitigating circumstances online.
  2. Email your supporting evidence to your Programme Administrator. (Don’t worry. We know that in some cases it is impossible to provide evidence, but don’t let that put you off contacting us.)   
  3. The PG team will then consider your request.  In order to assess the extent of the external interference on your university studies, we may need to meet with you to discuss your situation. We will then make sure you get the support that you need.

Types of support

  • Extensions to coursework and dissertations. If you are offered an extension the PG administrator will confirm this and set a new submission date. 
  • If your exams have been affected, or if you have experienced a serious problem which has impacted on all of your work, your mitigation will be considered at the exam boards in February, June and October/November. Your Programme Administrator will contact you after the board to inform you of the outcome.
  • If you need ongoing support we will work with the people within your support network and University services to make sure you have the appropriate support in place to continue your studies.

UMSU mitigating circumstances advice video

Interruption from the programme

It is the expectation of The University that postgraduate taught students pursue their studies on a continuous basis for the stipulated duration of their programme. It is understood, however, that students may encounter personal difficulties or situations which may seriously disrupt their studies.

Students considering an interruption from their studies will need to meet with their Programme Director to discuss this. General principles and guidance can be found below: 

To officially interrupt you will need to complete the form below in consultation with your Programme Director. Your completed form should be submitted to your Programme Administrator who will liaise with the Chair of the School Postgraduate Taught Programmes Committee to arrange approval.

We advise you to look at the regulations section in MyManchester if you are contemplating interrupting your programme. If you are studying with a Tier 4 visa ensure you are aware of the consequences of an interruption.

The outcome of your application will be communicated to you by email from your Programme Administrator.

Withdrawal from the programme

If, after consultation with your Programme Director, you decide, for whatever reason, to withdraw from a programme of study you must inform the Postgraduate Office by completing the form below:

We advise you to look at the following section of MyManchester if you are contemplating withdrawing from your programme:

The Postgraduate Office will then update your Student Record, which will prompt the Fees Office to contact you regarding any refund due.

Notice of submission forms

The notice of submission form should be completed and submitted along with your dissertation.

Please ensure that you provide an address that is currently valid and still will be in January.  If you do not know what your address will be between these dates, leave it blank – it is your responsibility to inform us of your contact details as soon as they are available. 

It is also your responsibility to keep the online student system updated with your contact details.  You should provide a personal email address if possible, as your University account will become inactive after the end of your registration.  

QRM module choice form

The QRM module choice form should be completed and returned to the SoSS Reception Desk on the 2nd floor of the Arthur Lewis Building or emailed to

Students with immigration permission

You must make sure that you are in compliance with UKVI requirements before applying for a change to your study.