Why study here?
We are consistently highly ranked for research, coming first in the UK for the percentage of our research outputs that are judged as ‘world-leading’, and second nationally based on our research power* in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework. Our research feeds into our undergraduate and postgraduate teaching.
- Our staff are committed to high quality teaching (93% satisfaction rating from students).
- The University of Manchester was ranked fourth in the UK for sociology in both the QS and Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018.
- Our courses focus on research skills and how research design affects our knowledge of the world around us. You will be trained to work first-hand with real data and the dissertation module encourages you to put the skills you have learned into practice.
- We have a large department, which means that you can choose from a wide range of optional units and follow this personalised route through your degree.
- You can choose which pathway suits you – single subject or joint degree.
- You'll get all the support and advice you need for your next step, whether that's a career path or further study.
- You will benefit from our peer mentoring scheme and a thriving Sociology society.
- Our courses give you the skills to analyse and interpret contemporary social developments and problems.
- You will explore how claims about social life are based on particular types of evidence and develop the skills to critically assess them.
- We will help you develop your analytical and investigative skills, training you in methods of social investigation in order to equip you with the skills needed for independent thinking, research and analysis.
(*Research power is calculated as 4*/3* times the number of staff submitted.)