Why study here?
We are consistently highly ranked for research, coming first in the UK for the percentage of our research outputs that are judged as ‘world-leading’, and second nationally based on our research power*2014 Research Excellence Framework / *Research power is calculated as 4*/3* times the number of staff submitted
- Sociology at Manchester is ranked fourth in the UK in both the QS and Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019.
- Our courses focus on research skills and how research design affects our knowledge of the world around us. You will be trained to work first-hand with real data and the dissertation module encourages you to put the skills you have learned into practice.
- We have a large department, which means that you can choose from a wide range of optional units and pathways to create a personalised degree.
- You'll get all the support and advice you need for your next step, whether that's a career path or further study.
- You will benefit from our peer mentoring scheme and a thriving Sociology society.
- You can gain valuable experience studying abroad for a semester in Year 2.
- Gain the skills to analyse and interpret contemporary social developments and problems.
- Explore how claims about social life are based on particular types of evidence and develop the skills to critically assess them.
- Develop your analytical and investigative skills through training in methods of social investigation, independent thinking, research and analysis.