Past PhD students
Read about some of our Sociology postgraduate research students who graduated in recent years.
- Emma Fraser - 'Self and Ruin: Imagining the end of the city'
- Tom Redshaw - 'Radical Technologies'
- William Shankley - 'Changing Geographies of Ethnic Diversity in Britain'
- Kunnaya Wimooktanon - 'An Examination of the Socio-Cultural reintegration of foreign-educated high SES Bangkokians'
- Kelly Bogue - 'Precarious Social Housing: Reforming Policy, Changing Culture. An Ethnographic Case Study of the Impact of the 'Bedroom Tax''
- Chiara Broccatelli - 'Going Beyond Secrecy: Methodological Advances for Two-mode Temporal Criminal Networks with Social Network Analysis'
- Karis Campion - 'Caught in the Hype: An Insight in to the Narratives and Identifications of Mixed Heritage People in Periods of Social Unrest'
- Rachel Emms - 'Heavy Metal Live; Exploring an Industry in Crisis'
- Aimee Harragan - 'Political Engagement among Young People in Manchester'
- Sebastian Juhnke - 'Locating the Creative Class: Diversity and Urban Change in London and Berlin'
- Pete Lampard - 'Social Movements, Popular Culture and the Guy Fawkes Mask'
- Andrea Lizama Loyola - 'Aspirations and practices of consumption as social mobility trajectories. A comparative perspective of the Latin American middle classes'
- Alejandro Marambio-Tapia - 'The retail-banking expansion in Chile and the "democratisation" of credit: juggling with cards, aspirations, and moralities'
- James Matthews - 'Organising Radical Spaces: Occupy the London Stock Exchange and the new Global Politics of Occupation'
- Kirsty Morrin - ''Business as Usual?': Aspirations, social mobility and entrepreneurship in a North West academy'
- Chinelo Njaka - 'Mixed race experience in the United States and Britain: a Comparative Study'
- Susan Oman - 'All being well: cultures of participation and the cult of measurement'
- Mustafa Arun - A Sociological Application of Sen's Capability Approach to (Dis)advantages in Turkey
- Gagunjoat Chhina - The Emergence of Video Gaming in India
- Ajmal Hussain - Muslims in the Metropolis: and ethnographic study of Muslim-making in a 21st century British city
- Gwyneth Lonergan - The impact of local geographies on migrant women’s activism: A comparative study of Manchester and Sheffield
- Adi Moreno - Crossing Border:Remaking Gay Fatherhood in the Global Market
- Samantha Outhwaite - 'The Social Life of British Organic Biodynamic Wheat: Biopolitics, Biopower & Governance'
- Rachel Stevenson - Secrecy and structure: the social organisation of clandestine groups
- Feng Zhu - 'Computer Games: The Implied Player and the Simulational Construction of Subjectivity'
- Medina Aitieva - The Transnational Family: An Ethnography of Livelihoods
- Ulrike Flader - 'Struggle for a liveable life: Everyday resistance among the Kurdish population in Turkey'
- Sarah Webster - Protest Activity in the British Student Movement, 1945 to 2011
- Yimei Zhu - 'Are the new forms of scholarly communication the pathway to open science?'
- Elisa Pieri - 'Urban futures: How security and aspirations to cosmopolitanism reconfigure the city centre'
- Lydia Reid - 'Religion and Modernity'
- Ghalia Sarmani - 'The role of religious institutions in constructing minorities' religious identity: Muslim minorities in non-Muslim society. Case Study of the Manchester Islamic Centre'
- Em Temple-Malt - 'After the Act: Narratives of Display and the Significance of Civil Partnership'
- Sivamohan Valluvan - 'Integration Reconsidered: A study of Multi-ethnic Lives in Two Post-Integration Cities'
- Ashley Brown - '"I Like a Little Story with my Smut": Sexual expression, rules, and friendships in online and tabletop erotic role play'
- Philip Brooker - 'Computerised research technologies in practical research settings'
- Fatima Maria de Jesus da Assuncao - On becoming self-employed: Gender, class and entrepreneurship in Portugal
- Carina Giorgi - 'Gender and migration: Armenian women's experiences 1990 to 2010'
- Irmak Karademir - 'Class Distinction on the Dressed Body: A Case study on the Turkish Middle Class'
- Svetoslav Nenov - 'Archaeology of terror'
- Joshua Richards - 'Shared houses, shared lives: Privacy, intimacy and self-disclosure and their role in the negotiation of relationships in houses of multiple occupation'
- Leonidas Tsilipakos - 'The significance of Wittgensteinian and ordinary language philosophy for sociology's conceptual problems'
- Daniel Welch - 'Understanding the commercial field of sustainability communications'