Study abroad

Studying abroad is an excellent opportunity for undergraduate students to see the world, experience new cultures and study at one of Manchester's world-class partner institutions.

Why study abroad?

This opportunity of a lifetime:

  • gives you a new perspective on your subject area;
  • broadens your horizons;
  • improves your language skills;
  • allows you to grow as a person;
  • helps you in the job market.

One semester options

Students on the BSocSc Social Anthropology, joint-honours degree students and BASS students who take Social Anthropology as one of their pathways can apply in their first year to study abroad for one semester during their second year.

Full year exchanges

Students studying on the BSocSc Social Anthropology course can apply in their second year to study abroad for a full academic year in their third year.

They then return to Manchester to complete their final year of study and be awarded the BSocSc Social Anthropology with International Study (a four-year degree course).

The full year abroad functions on a pass or fail basis. If you pass your modules taken at the host university, your final transcript will list them but not include them in calculating your final average mark. If you do not pass your modules abroad, you transfer back to the standard BSocSc Social Anthropology.

Where can you go?

You have the opportunity to choose from a fantastic list of partner universities (in Europe and out of Europe) that Social Anthropology has an established relationship with. 

Please note that within Europe, you will be eligible to apply for an Erasmus+ grant, which contributes towards the costs of studying abroad and is provided by the European Commission. However, if you study abroad outside of Europe, there will be less funding available. 

Our partner institutions are:

Who pays for study abroad?

If you study abroad for either a semester or a full year, whether in Europe or beyond, you will not have to pay any fees to the partner university.

If you are a UK or EU student studying abroad for a full year, your fees for the year abroad will be reduced to £1,350 for the year – these fees will be paid to The University of Manchester.

If you are an international student studying abroad for the full year, your fees for the year abroad will be reduced to 50% of your normal fee amount – these fees will be paid to The University of Manchester.

If you study abroad for one semester only, you will pay your usual University of Manchester fees.

You can find further information on grants and scholarships available students who are studying abroad on the University's Go Abroad website.