View some of our recent events.
9 November 2022, 5pm to 7pm - Half-Earth Socialism
- Speaker: Troy Vettese (European University Institute)
28 Sept 2022, 3-4:30pm - PEC Seminar
- Speaker: Prof Laura Macdonald (Carlton University, Canada and UofM Hallsworth Visiting Professor)
26 September 2022, 10am to 12pm - A World Order of Racial Capitalism
- Speaker: Prof Adam David Morton (University of Sydney and UofM Hallsworth Visiting Professor)
1-5 September 2020 – The 7th International Degrowth and 16th ISEE Joint Conference
- Building Alternative Livelihoods in times of Ecological and Political Crisis
12 June 2019, 5pm to 8pm – PEC Workshop
- The Political Economy of the Post-Soviet Space: Between Empires, Histories, and Uncertain Futures
- Convenors: Prof Stuart Shields and Dr Yuliya Yurchenko (Greenwich University)
1-5 July 2019 – Summer School in Political Economy Methods.
- This five day workshop will equip scholars with the methodological tools for acquiring empirical knowledge in political economy and the theoretical tools for questioning the validity and limits of the knowledge produced.
6 June 2019, 3pm to 5pm – PEC Seminar
- Speaker: Prof Daniel Mügge (Universiteit van Amsterdam) - The Revenge of Political Arithmetick
16 May 2019, 3pm to 5pm – PEC Book Launch
- Dr Sara Killock presents ‘Livable Intersections: Reframing Sex Work at the Frontline'.
- Dr Adrienne Roberts and Dr Juanita Elias will serve as discussants.
6 March 2019 to 3 April 2019, 2pm to 3:30pm – Diversifying Economics
- Lead organiser: Anna-Maria Köhnke (Fem4Econ)
- Weekly mentoring sessions for female undergraduates interesting in pursuing careers in Economics. Mentors include Prof. Helen Beebee, Maeve Cohen, Dr. Alessia Isopi, Dr. Peter Backus and Elizabeth Wilkinson.
- Co-financed by the Department of Economics.
23 January 2019, 6pm - PEC Book Launch
- Dr. Sundari Anitha (Lincoln University) and Prof. Ruth Pearson (University of Leeds) present ‘Striking Women: Struggles and Strategies of South Asian Women Workers from Grunwick to Gate Gourmet”.
7 December 2018, 1pm to 6pm - PEC Workshop
- Lead Organisers: Dr. Caroline Metz
- Critical pedagogy workshop: addressing race, gender and class in academic teaching.
6 December 2018, 6.15pm - PEC Annual Lecture
- Speaker: Prof Wolfgang Streeck (Max Planck Institute, Cologne)
- "Taking Back Control? Democratic Capitalism and the Architecture of the International State System."
- Watch on YouTube
4 December 2018, 4pm – PEC Seminar
- Speaker: Dr Nina Moeller
- Biosocialism for the Amazon? Ikiam, the state and subsistence struggles in postneoliberal Ecuador.
19 November 2018, 4pm - PEC Seminar
- Speaker: Prof John Dryzek (University of Canberra)
12 November 2018, 9am -1pm – Infrastructure Mega-Corridors workshop.
- Participants: Nick Hildyard, Larry Lohmann, Prof. Penelope Harvey, and representatives of ReCommon and Counterbalance.
7 November 2018, 5pm – PEC Film Screening of ‘Shaking the Money Tree: Experiments for a Fair Economy’
- Hilary Powell, Hoe Street Central Bank
- Dan Edelstyn, Hoe Street Central Bank
- Nick Money, Director of Development at the Centre for Community Finance Europe
- Desiree Fields, Lecturer in Human Geography, University of Sheffield
- Sarah Roddy, Senior Lecturer in Irish History, University of Manchester
- Patrick Doyle, Hallsworth Research Fellow, University of Manchester
4 November 2018, 6pm – Is capitalism unsustainable?
- Prof Molly Scott-Cato MEP (UK Green Party)
- Prof Giorgos Kallis (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona)
- Prof. Kevin Anderson (Tyndall Centre, The University of Manchester)
- Prof Robert Pollin (Co-Director of the Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts-Amherst)
The event will be chaired by Maeve Cohen (Rethinking Economics).
27 September 2018, 4pm - PEC Seminar
- Speaker: Prof Juha Heidenpåå (PALO)
- "Without hope: Institutional virtues in environmental policy in Finland"
ESRC Seminar: Climate Justice and Economic Growth at the Manchester Political Economy Centre
- Monday, 30 January and Tuesday, 31 January 2017
- This workshop tackles a cluster of questions concerning economic growth and climate justice.
Manchester Political Economy Centre Annual Lecture 2016
Michael Jacobs, Visiting Professor, School of Public Policy, UCL, Rethinking Capitalism
Wednesday, 26th October, 4-6pm
Political Economy Centre Annual Lecture 2015
Stephen Gill, York University, Toronto and Hallsworth Visiting Professor
Critical Global Political Economy in the 21st Century: Reflections on Global Organic Crisis
2014-15 Seminar Series
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and legitimacy in global health governance
- Speaker: Sophie Harman (QMUL)
- Date: 8 October 2014
Crisis in Spain: This time around…
- Speaker: Greig Charnock
- Date: 22 October 2014
Green violence: Rhino poaching and the war to save southern Africa’s peace parks
- Speaker: Bram Buscher (ISS)
- Date: 5 November 2014
When description becomes prescription: Capitalist diversity as a strategic problem for Korean social movements
- Speaker: Jamie Doucette
- Date: 26 November 2014
Beyond anti-austerity: The possibilities and limits of social movements in resistance to neoliberalism'
A round table event with movements@manchester.
- Chair: Gemma Edwards
- Date: 3 December 2014
- Speakers: Marianne Maeckelbergh (Leiden), Nadim Mirshak (Manchester), Jamie Matthews (Manchester), Colin Barker (ex-MMU), Carl Death (Manchester).
Financialisation of nature, urbanisation of the world: The sociospatial ramifications of the gold bubble in the Chilean Andes
- Speaker: Martín Arboleda
- Date: 28 January 2015
Complex indebtedness: An alternative ontology of world politics
- Speaker: Meera Sarabatnam
- Date: 11 February 2015
Gramsci and the study of post-Gramscian ideologies: Institutions, class, experience
- Speaker: Gareth Price-Thomas
- Date: 4 March 2015
Being anti-militarist and anti-militarist being
Joint seminar with the Poststructuralist and Critical Thought cluster.
- Speaker: Chris Rossdale (RHUL)
- Date: 18 March 2015
Crisis, new economic governance and legitimacy: Questioning the interrelations of economic and political crises in the Eurozone
Joint seminar with the Manchester Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence (JMCE).
- Speaker: Ingar Solty (York/Berlin)
- Date: 15 April 2015
How to analyse institutions from a gendered perspective in IPE
Joint seminar with the School of Social Sciences Gender Research Network (GRN)
- Speaker: Georgina Waylen
- Date: 29 April 2015