Good Practice Scheme
British Philosophical Association / Society for Women in Philosophy Good Practice Scheme
Since 2014, we have subscribed to the following elements of the British Philosophical Association / Society for Women in Philosophy UK's Good Practice Scheme, aimed at improving the representation of women in philosophy:
- Gender bias.
- Conferences and seminar series.
In addition, we have adopted our own policy and procedures covering staff-to-staff and staff-to-student relationships.
The actions we have taken include:
- Formulating and publicising to staff and students, specific policies concerning relationships, the allocation of teaching hours to assistants with caregiving responsibilities, and conduct at research events and seminars.
- Setting a target of at least 25% of works on course reading lists written by women.
- Improving the information available to students concerning the University's harassment policy and procedures. Also having a departmental contact to deal informally with harassment-related problems and concerns.
- Changing the time and day of our regular research seminar so that it falls within normal working hours.