BSocSc Sociology / Careers
Year of entry: 2018
BSocSc Sociology features a course on Professional Development for Sociologists (ProD) that runs across all three years of the degree.
The course involves lectures, workshops, panels and other activities all designed to help with your studies and equip you for the world of work.
Academic skills courses include:
- training in critical reading and writing;
- essay and exam techniques;
- presentation skills;
- preparing dissertations.
Careers skills courses include:
- regular events on jobs, careers and employability;
- volunteering and internship opportunities;
- opportunities to meet alumni from the Sociology department, graduate employers, Careers Service advisers and other experts at the University.
A degree in Sociology gives you the skills and knowledge that you need to able to succeed in the future. Graduates from Sociology are highly sought after and are able to use their skills and knowledge in a wide range of different areas.
Our graduates have been employed by:
Amazon, Armstrong Craven, AstraZeneca, Barclays investment Bank, BBC, Boots, British Heart Foundation, British Red Cross, BT, Cambridge University Library, Credit Suisse, Discovery Channel, Family Mediation Forum, Financial Times, KPMG, Manchester United Football Club, Marks & Spencer, Microsoft, NHS, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Ralph Lauren, Royal Bank of Scotland, Royal Exchange Theatre, Sky, Standard Chartered Bank, Teach First, The Co-operative Group, The Guardian, The Open University, UBS, United Nations and the World Bank, Department for Work and Pensions, Manchester City Council, Social Services, Royal Bank of Scotland. (Source: DLHE.)
Throughout your studies and after you graduate you will have to access our Careers Service , which can help you:
- find summer internships or work experience;
- apply for jobs and provide practice interviews;
- access online and interactive services such as practice psychometric tests.
Our students can also apply for a valuable summer work placement in their second year through our Q-Step programme.
A favourite with employers, the University also organises careers fairs and events throughout the year to give you a chance to meet graduate recruiters.