BA Politics, Philosophy and Economics / Careers
Year of entry: 2018
A degree in Politics, Philosophy and Economics would give you the skills and knowledge that you need to able to succeed in the future.
Graduates from PPE are highly sought after and are able to use their skills and knowledge in a wide range of different areas. Some examples of what our recent graduates have gone on to do are (Source: DLHE):
- Employers: Thomson Reuters, Goldman Sachs, KPMG, Barclays, The University of Manchester, Alliance Financial Group, Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, the Department of Education, New Economic Development and Shelter
- Job Roles: Senior Banking Executive, Trainee Tax Accountant, Commercial Officer, Economic Analyst, Policy Advisor, Trainee Manager.
As the PPE degree brings together the three interrelated disciplines of Politics, Philosophy and Economics you would develop and unrivalled range of transferable skills throughout your time at Manchester.
- Studying Politics means that you can analyse the behaviour of government from local, national and international perspectives and provide an understanding and rationale behind policy decisions that affect all of us. Studying politics shows that you are capable of researching and referencing your argument and that you are capable of using rhetoric to reinforce your position in a debate.
- In Philosophy you would learn to develop and express rational arguments and use logical reasoning and critical analysis to defend your position and critique opposing viewpoints.
- Economics gives you the tools to analyse the economic environment around us. You would gain a grounding in quantitative methods such as Mathematics & Statistics or Econometrics - which would be highly applicable elsewhere - as well as help you develop an understanding of the spectrum of the wider economy from the reasoning behind macroeconomic government policy to the microeconomic behaviour of individual firms .
Throughout your studies at Manchester - and even after you graduate - you will have access to our Careers Service . Consistently voted best in the UK by both students and employers there is a great deal of support available to you with a dedicated team of careers advisors and resources that you can access. Whether you are looking for a part time job, a summer internship or applying for a graduate scheme there's help to make yourself as employable as possible. You can find more information on the Careers Service website but examples of the support available are:
- One to one advice such as application advice and quick tips, guidance appointments and practice interviews
- Online and interactive services including one to one and group sessions with careers staff, experts and employers.
- Information resources from our Careers Resource Centre and online resources such as practice psychometric tests.
As Manchester is one of the most targeted Universities in the UK by graduate employers the Careers service also organizes fairs and events throughout the year to give you a chance to meet graduate recruiters and ask your questions; These include the `Graduate Recruitment fair', `The Finance, Business and Management Fair' and the `Postgraduate Study fair'.