BAEcon Economics / Course details
Year of entry: 2018
Course unit details:
Business Economics 1A
|Unit level||Level 2|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Available as a free choice unit?||Yes|
See course Blackboard pages.
|Unit title||Unit code||Requirement type||Description|
Students must have taken at least one of the following course units (compulsory Pre-Requisite):
- ECON10041 or
- ECON10081 or
AND also at least one of the following (compulsory Pre-Requisite):
- ECON10061 or
- ECON10001 or
The aim of this course is to introduce students to the basic concepts of business economics, focusing on the factors that influence the strategies and performance of businesses at the industry level.
At the end of this course, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate their understanding of the effects of market structure and firm strategies on market outcomes;.
- Demonstrate their understanding of non-collusive models of oligopoly.
Topic 1: Introduction.
Topic 2: Production, Demand and Profit Maximization.
Topic 3: The Firm.
Topic 4: Games and Strategy.
Topic 5: Oligopoly Competition.
Topic 6: Market Structure and Market Power.
Topic 7: Product Differentiation.
Topic 8: Advertising.
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures and tutorial classes.
- Analytical skills
- Synthesis and analysis of information.
- Problem solving
- Using library, electronic and online resources. Time management. Applying subject knowledge. Improving own learning.
- 2 Online Tests - multiple choice questions (10% * 2 = 20%).
- Final Exam - written answers and multiple choice questions (80%).
- Mock exam.
- Online quizzes.
- Tutorial feedback.
- Office hours.
- Discussion boards.
Introduction to Industrial Organization, Luis M. B. Cabral, MIT Press, 1st edition, 2000.
Detailed reading list will be available on Blackboard.
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Assessment written exam||1.5|
|Independent study hours|
|Refik Emre Aytimur||Unit coordinator|