PhD/MRes Economics / Entry requirements
Year of entry: 2018
Academic entry qualification overview
Entry into the programme requires both the prior attainment of certain academic qualifications and also the submission of a satisfactory research proposal at time of application;
- Direct entry into year 2 of the 4 year programme, you will normally be expected to have achieved a high level of performance in a postgraduate programme in economics. For a UK masters programme, high level performance equates to a minimum overall average of 65% on the taught component and a dissertation mark of 65% or above (with no mark below 55%). Entry from other courses is considered on a case-by-case basis. Your masters' training is expected to offer a comparable training to one of the following programmes at Manchester; MSc Economics, MSc Econometrics, MSc Economics & Econometrics, MSc Financial Economics.
- For year 1 entry of the 4 year programme, you will normally be expected to have achieved a high level performance in an undergraduate and/or a postgraduate programme in economics that provides a sound training in microeconomics, macroeconomics and econometrics equivalent to at least an Upper Second Class Honours in the BEconSc degree at Manchester.
- Applicants with a high level of performance in any of the following Manchester PG programmes would normally be accepted to enter Year 1, although Year 2 is considered on a case-by-case basis: MA Economics, MSc Finance and Economics, MSc Development Economics and Policy, MSc Economics and Management of Rural Development, MSc Environment and Development, MSc Development Finance, MSc Industrial Strategy and Trade Policy and MA Political Economy.
- GRE. This is only one of our admission criteria - we are looking for the 'right fit' for the PhD/MRes programme and use all of the admissions criteria to make a decision. A very high score does not necessarily give a stronger chance of admission and a below average score does not automatically eliminate a candidate.
- IELTS 7, including 7 in writing and with no further score below 6.5
- TOEFL IBT 103 with 28 in writing and no further score below 25 in each section.
- ALL non-native English speaking students are required to do the English language assessment when they register in September.
- Any non-native English speaking student going away for fieldwork in an overseas, non-English speaking country required to re-take the English assessment when they come back to Manchester.
- All non UK/EU, non-native English speaking applicants must have obtained the minimum IELTS or TOEFL score in order to obtain a CAS for their visa.
Scores are valid for 2 years.
For students who require a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, your test score is valid for 2 years preceding the course start date.
Test taken on or after 17 September 2016 - CAS issued June 2018 = Score is VALID
Test taken before 17 September 2016 = Score is INVALID
Please note that CAS statements are issued only when all conditions of the offer have been satisfied, PDF copy of passport received and the offer accepted.
Applicants from certain countries MAY be exempt from having to provide an IELTS or TOEFL score. For further advice please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-Sessional English Courses:
If you eligible to do a pre-sessional English course (either 6 weeks or 10 weeks, depending on your English score), you will be required to successfully complete the course at the required level before you are permitted to register on your academic course).
The dates and fees for next summer (2018) are now available on the English Language Centre's website.
English language test validity
Other international entry requirements
Other entry requirements
In addition to the normal supporting documents, applicants for PhD/MRes must also supply the following:
- A brief description of any econometrics/macro/micro economics/mathematics and statistics courses taken on their undergraduate degree/postgraduate degree, detailing core texts used. This does not have to be an official document. A paragraph for each course unit taken will be sufficient. Go to the Files to Download tab for an example of what is required.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED UNTIL WE RECEIVE THE ABOVE INFORMATION .