Postgraduate research funding
The School of Social Sciences receives money from a range of sources to help you fund your studies.
The School's postgraduate research community is one of the largest, most diverse and dynamic for social sciences in the UK, and is committed to supporting the best-qualified applicants financially.
Choose your country and programme of study to search our postgraduate research funding opportunities database. Alternatively, you can view funding opportunities for all of our School's programmes.
Power to Change - PhD funding opportunity (external)
- Power to Change is looking to jointly fund up to 3 PhDs with University departments interested in community-led business. See full details on Power to Change.
- Please note this is an external funding opportunity and not administered by the School of Social Sciences. If you have any queries you need to contact Power to Change directly.
- If you are interested in applying for this funding, please remember that you must also apply and be accepted onto a PhD programme in the School.
CSC China Scholarship Scheme
- Please refer to the CSC's website for future updates.
Grundy Educational Trust (external)
- View the Grundy Educational Trust eligibility - read the criteria carefully before contacting the postgraduate office.
The Wellcome Trust (external)
The Government has now published information on the 2019/20 PhD student loans.
Further information and guidelines on eligibility can be found on GOV.UK, key points include:
- Borrow up to £25,000 for the whole course.
- The loan is paid directly to students and can be used for tuition fees and living costs.
- The loan is divided equally across each year of the course in three instalments.