The group for debates in anthropological theory (GDAT)
This group aims to generate stimulating discussions on anthropological theory through a debate format.
Save the date
The 2017 GDAT debate will be held in Manchester on Saturday, the 14th of October 2-6pm. The motion to be debated is:
Violence and violation are at the heart of racism
Renold Building, rooms C002 and C015. View map.
Any questions, contact email@example.com
Senior Lecturer in Anthropology
University of Manchester
- 1988 Social Anthropology is a generalizing science or it is nothing
- 1989 The concept of society is theoretically obsolete
- 1990 Human worlds are culturally constructed
- 1991 Language is the essence of culture
- 1992 The past is a foreign country
- 1993 Aesthetics is a cross-cultural category
- 1995 Advocacy in anthropology
- 1996 Cultural studies will be the death of anthropology
- 1997 In anthropology, the image can never have the last say
- 1999 The right to difference is a fundamental human right
- 2008 Ontology is just another word for culture
- 2009 The anthropological fixation with reciprocity leaves no place for love
- 2010 The task of anthropology is to invent relations. Published in Critique of Anthropology March 2012 vol. 32 no. 1 43-47. doi: 10.1177/0308275X11430873
- 2011 Non-dualism is philosophy not ethnography. Published in Critique of Anthropology September 2013 vol. 33 no. 3 300-360. doi: 10.1177/0308275X13490310
- 2012 The concept of neoliberalism has become an obstacle to the anthropological understanding of the twenty-first century
- 2013 There is no such thing as the good
- 2015 Attention to infrastructure offers a welcome reconfiguration of anthropological approaches to the political
- The first six debates (1988-1993) are available as a book, Key Debates in Anthropology, edited by Tim Ingold (Routledge, 1996).
- The 2010 debate will be published in Critique of Anthropology in Spring 2012.
- 2012: published in JRAI, 2015 21(4): 911-923
- 2013: published in Critique of Anthropology, 2015 35(4): 430-480
- 2015: published in Critique of Anthropology, January 2016 (Online First):