Find out about how the University is focusing on all aspects of inequality, from poverty to social justice, from living conditions to equality in the workplace.
Global Inequalities Research Beacon (2015)
Find out how researchers across the University are seeking to understand our world and directly change it for the better.
Professor Anthony Heath's research reveals the impact that the recession had in both the UK and US.
Featured projects within the School
Centre on Dynamics of Ethnicity
Research on ethnic inequalities under the auspices of the ESRC Research Centre on Dynamics of Ethnicity (CoDE) aims to:
- transform understandings of the contemporary patterning of ethnic inequalities;
- investigate how this relates to the ways in which ethnic identities are perceived, acted upon and experienced;
- provide the knowledge and tools to enhance policy and public capacity to engage in this area.
Understanding Institutional Change
The project Understanding Institutional Change: A gender perspective, funded by the European Research Council aims to improve our understanding of the gender dynamics of institutional change and reform across the globe.
Research impact case studies
- Helping governments to help their poor
- Challenging myths about race, segregation and diversity
- Gender equality in politics and policy
- Informing international employment policies for gender equality
- Improving employment outcomes for ethnic minority groups
- Challenging policy debates on ethnic inequalities in health
There have been big changes in recent years in the position of women. But many institutions – such as the judiciary, parliaments and governments - are still male dominated, despite efforts to change this situation. This research will examine some of these efforts to change institutions and will try to explain their outcomes.Prof Georgina Waylen / project PI