Eduardo Olivares Concha
Title of thesis
Party system institutionalisation in new democracies of Eastern Europe, East Asia and Latin America
Many East Asian, Latin American and Central Eastern European countries emerged as newly democratised regimes in the 1980s and 1990s but faced different outcomes in terms of party system institutionalisation. While some developed strong political parties to represent citizen’s interests, others have weak organizations that only represent narrow interest groups. The roles of cleavages, of personalistic politics, and legitimacy of parties and elections, are scrutinised to understand how and why party systems in different regions diverge in their consolidation process. After making clear distinctions between these elements, a more accurate theory of party system institutionalization will take place.
- Prof Jane Green
- Prof Hermann Schmitt
My undergraduate education is on Journalism, Contemporary History and Comparative Literature, at the Pontifical Catholic University of Chile. After 10 years of journalistic experience in the main newspapers in Chile, I successfully graduated as a Master of Pacific International Affairs (MPIA) from the University of California, San Diego.
Parties and Party Systems; Democratisation; Electoral Systems; International Relations in Asia; Politics and Foreign Policy of South Korea, Japan, China; Politics of the Southern Cone; Politics of Central and Eastern Europe; Foreign Policy of Brazil and Latin America.
Olivares C., Eduardo. “Asia and Pacific Regional Cooperation. Turning Zones of Conflict into Arenas of Peace” (Michael Haas), book review, in Journal of International Relations Research (forthcoming).
Olivares C., Eduardo, and Giulia Sirigu. “Latin American foreign policy beyond the United States: An Introduction”, in Political Perspectives, 6(1), 2012.
Olivares C., Eduardo. “Mirror, mirror on the wall, who in the land is most democratic of all? Under which conditions should the village elections in China be called democratic?”, in Asian Studies Working Papers, 9, Center for Asian Studies, Catholic University of Chile, August 2012.
Political Studies Association (PSA) Annual International Conference, Sheffield, 30 Mar-1 Apr 2015. “Hierarchical importance of cleavages: not all are the same for party systems.”
Political Studies Association (PSA) Annual International Conference, Sheffield, 30 Mar-1 Apr 2015. “Breaking news: In need of personalistic party leadership.”
European Consortium of Political Research (ECPR) General Conference, Glasgow 3-6 Sep 2014. “Leadership and political elites in new democracies.”
World International Studies Committees’ Fourth Global International Studies Conference, Frankfurt, 6-9 Aug 2014. “Foreign policies of Brazil and Mexico in a new world” (with Giulia Sirigu.)
European Consortium of Political Research (ECPR) Graduate Student Conference, Innsbruck 3-5 Jul. “Social Movements and political parties in Chile” (accepted).
Political Studies Association (PSA) Annual International Conference, Manchester 14-16 Apr 2014. “Institutionalization of party systems: a cross-regional approach using the Weighted Volatility Index.”
Political Studies Association (PSA) Annual International Conference, Manchester 14-16 Apr 2014. “Political Elites Shaken by Social Movements: Where is the Broken Chain?”
Political Studies Association (PSA) Annual International Conference, Manchester 14-16 Apr 2014. “Is personalism always bad in electoral democracies? The curious case of Estonia”
American Political Science Association (APSA) Annual Meeting, Chicago, 28 Aug-1 Sep. “Institutionalization of Party Systems: a cross-regional approach using the Weighted Volatility Index.”
Postgraduates in Latin American Studies (PILAS) Annual Conference 2012, Oxford, 25-27 Jun 2012. “Electoral Instability in Latin America: A Cross-Regional Comparison.”
North West Doctoral Training Conference, Manchester, 2 May 2012. “Comparing the stabilization process of party systems in developing regions.”
Political Studies Association (PSA) Annual International Conference, Belfast, 3-5 Apr 2012. “Elections in Chinese villages.”
Political Studies Association (PSA) Annual International Conference, Belfast, 3-5 Apr 2012. “Assessing ways to measure party system institutionalization.”
University of Manchester’s Chilean Society, Social Sciences in Chile Seminar Series 2014-2015, University of Manchester, UK, 22 Jan 2015. “Social Movements in Chile: Why were political elites caught off guard?”
Democracy and Elections Group, University of Manchester, UK, 14 Jan 2015. “Hierarchical importance of cleavages: not all are the same for party systems.”
Course Politics of Development (2nd year undergraduate students), University of Manchester, UK, 31 Mar 2014. Guest lectureship: “Chile. Democratic Development and Breakdown.”
Korea Foundation, 46th KF Forum, Lotte Hotel Seoul, 28 Jun 2013. “Party system institutionalization in developing democracies.”
Institute of Politics and Government’s Colloquium Series, University of Tartu, Estonia, 27 Sep 2012. “Stabilization process of party systems in developing democracies: a cross-regional approach.”
- South Korea. Elite interviews: National Assembly (Gukhoe), political parties, media offices, city councils, others; population interviews. Cities: Daegu, Gwangju, Sejong, Seoul. Apr-Aug 2013
- Chile. Elite interviews: National Congress (Congreso Nacional), political parties, city councils, others; population interviews. Cities: Copiapó, Santiago, Tierra Amarilla, Valdivia, Valparaíso. Jan-Mar 2013
- Estonia. Elite interviews: Parliament (Riigikogu), political parties, media offices, city councils, others; population interviews. Cities: Pärnu, Tallinn, Tartu. Jul-Dec 2012
PhD visiting experience
- Institute of Korean Political Studies, Seoul National University. Seoul, South Korea. Apr-Aug 2013
- Institute of Advanced Studies, University of Santiago. Santiago, Chile. Jan-Mar 2013
- Institute of Government and Politics, Tartu University. Tartu, Estonia. Jul-Dec 2012
Research assistance experience
- Research Assistant – Professors Claire Annesley (U. of Manchester) and Susan Franceschet (U. of Calgary), Feb-Mar 2014 Collection and interpretation of new dataset on female leadership in all countries.
- Research Assistant – Professor Matthew Shugart (at UCSD), Mar-Jun 2011. Independent Study Research (with Shijie Yang) about the effect of district magnitude on party cohesion in Indonesia.
- Research Assistant – Professor Matthew Shugart (at UCSD), Mar-Sep 2010. Collection and interpretation of large series data of 2005 Chile Legislative Elections, for an NSF granted project.
- Teaching Assistant – Comparative Politics of East-Central Europe, University of Manchester. Feb-Jun 2015
- Teaching Assistant – Introduction to International Politics, University of Manchester. Sep 2014-Jan 2015
- Teaching Assistant – Politics of Development, University of Manchester. Feb-Jun 2014
- Teaching Assistant – Spanish 1A, 1C and 1DX, University of California, San Diego. Sep 2010-Mar 2011
- Teaching Assistant – Films and Society, University of California, San Diego. Mar-Jun 2010
- Professor Assistant – Journalistic Writing II, University of Diego Portales. Mar 2001-Dec 2001
- Teaching Assistant – Journalistic Investigation, P. Catholic University of Chile. Mar 2000-Dec 2001
- Teaching Assistant – Journalistic Writing I, P. Catholic University of Chile. Mar 2000-Dec 2001
Scholarships, grant awards and prizes
- Korea Foundation Field Research Scholarship. Seoul, Korea. Apr-Jul 2013
- DoRa Scholarship for Field Research in Estonia. Tallinn-Tartu, Estonia. Jul 2012-Jan 2013
- University of Manchester’s Fieldwork Bursary Fund. Manchester, UK. Jun 2012, April 2014
- University of Manchester’s Norman Chester Fund for Doctoral Expenses. Manchester, UK. Aug 2011
- Becas Chile Scholarship for Doctoral Studies. Santiago, Chile. 2011-2015
- UC San Diego’s IRPS - Grunwald Award for Promoting Inter-American Understanding. San Diego, California. June 2011
- UC San Diego’s IRPS - Dean’s Fellow. San Diego, California. 2010-2011
- Becas Chile Scholarship for Masters Studies. Santiago, Chile. 2009-2011
- Award for Best Academic Performance in Undergraduate Studies (Journalism). Santiago, Chile. 1998-2000
- Ministry of Education Scholarship for Undergraduate Studies. Santiago, Chile. 1997-2001
- Editor of Graduate Journal Political Perspectives
- Past Vice President Latin American Student Organization of UC San Diego (2010-2011)
- Member of American Political Science Association
- Member of Political Studies Association
- Languages: Spanish (native), English (proficiency), Portuguese (advanced level)
- Statistical program user: SPSS