Association of Law Teachers Conference 2022
On 11-12 April, we will be delighted to welcome delegates to one of the first on-campus Association of Law Teachers (ALT) conferences since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
We look forward to colleagues collaborating and sharing knowledge on teaching and learning.
The University of Manchester Law School has an award-winning Justice Hub offering students the opportunity to take part in clinical legal education while at the same time providing free legal advice to members of the community.
Please find below the final programme with timings. We look forward to welcoming you to the University of Manchester and 2022 ALT Conference.
- Arwen Joyce, Law Student and Staff perceptions of the Role of Professional Skills in a Law degree: A Pilot Study (PDF)
- Charles Mak, Cultivating Psychology in International Legal Education – Should Psychology be included in the Law School Syllabus? (PDF)
- Holly Devlin, Do Law graduates perceive that undergraduate assessment has provided them with the skills necessary to succeed in the workplace? (PDF)
- Louis Martin, The Use of Microsoft Teams to provide Learner Support, Mentoring and Feedback on Mobile devices (PDF)
- Petra Larsen, Essay Strategy: A way to successfully answer essay v. problem based questions in Law (PDF)
Guests arriving on Sunday 10 April 2022
You are invited to book a room at the Hyatt hotel at a special rate of £93.00 for single occupancy bed and breakfast. The promotional code will be sent to you by email once you have registered for the conference. Check-in at the Hyatt is from 3:00 pm.
2:00 – 6:00 pm Delegates have free time or can book onto an optional walking tour of Manchester, if desired.
5:00 – 6:00 pm Delegates are welcome to meet Ruby Hammer and Claire McGourlay in the Hyatt Regency Hotel Bar (cash or card Bar available).
6:00 pm Dinner will be available at the Kro Bar – this option should be selected via the eStore and added to your basket for payment in addition to your conference package.
Call for Papers and Posters
Papers and posters are invited from academics, community or professional partners, and PhD students. Collaborative cross disciplinary papers are welcome, as well as papers from a variety of perspectives including students.
We are particularly interested in receiving papers on the following areas, although this is not intended to be an exhaustive list:
- Social responsibility and legal education
- Legal education and the UN social responsibility goals
- Clinical legal education and experiential learning
- Compassion pedagogy
- Impact of higher education policy on law teaching
- Current and future challenges facing the law curriculum
- Students as partners in the development of the law curriculum
- Technology enhanced learning
- Peer learning
- Assessment and feedback
- Developing law students’ employability and readiness for the world of work
- Meeting the legal education requirements of student entrepreneurs
- Mentoring and coaching
- Wellbeing of law students and lecturers
We will be running sessions to capture general themes, so will welcome topics which do not fall into the above categories. The default format is that each parallel session will include 3 individual papers of 20 minutes each.
How to book
The conference booking eStore is now live. The early bird rate is available until 31 March 2022. The last date for secure online payments at the standard rate is 6 April 2022.
Please direct all enquiries to ALTConference@manchester.ac.uk. Prices are:
|Delegate fee (early-bird) member on-campus rate||£160|
|Delegate fee (early-bird) member on online rate||£136|
|Delegate fee (early-bird) non-member on-campus rate||£220|
|Delegate fee (early-bird) non-member online rate||£187|
|Delegate fee (standard) member on-campus rate||£200|
|Delegate fee (standard) member online rate||£170|
|Delegate fee (standard) non-member on-campus rate||£260|
|Delegate fee (standard) non-member online rate||£221|
|Discounted fee (postgraduate) (early-bird) member on-campus rate||£60|
|Discounted fee (postgraduate) (early-bird) member online rate||£51|
|Discounted fee (postgraduate) (early-bird) non-member on-campus rate||£90|
|Discounted fee (postgraduate) (early-bird) non-member online rate||£76.50|
|Discounted fee (postgraduate) (standard) member on-campus rate||£100|
|Discounted fee (postgraduate) (standard) member online rate||£85|
|Discounted fee (postgraduate) (standard) non-member on-campus rate||£130|
|Discounted fee (postgraduate) (standard) non-member online rate||£110.50|
Follow us on Twitter for more information: