I completed my undergraduate study in Agricultural economics at the University of Ilorin, Nigeria where I was the Student Union President and also emerged as the best student in the department. Subsequently, I was retained as a Graduate assistant in the Department and finished my MSc in Agricultural economics (2012). I am a recipient of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) Merit Scholarship award for PhD and Staff Development Awards from University of Ilorin for my PhD in Economics.
I am currently a +4 PhD candidate in the Environmental and Resource Economics (ERE) Research Group RAG at The University of Manchester.
I am working on Resource curse and social negative externality. Specifically, I have a bias for the development incongruities associated with natural resource exploration, the contributory role of extractive industries and how an incentivized bargaining arrangement could minimise the negativities associated with oil exploration. I also have secondary interests in poverty measurements, land degradation and poverty traps, and food security.
- Prof Ada Wossink
- Dr Ron Chan
- The University of Manchester, PhD/MRes Economics. 2019 (expected)
- University of Ilorin, Nigeria, MSc Agricultural Economics. 2012
- University of Ilorin, Nigeria, B.Agric. 2009
Scholarships and prizes
- IsDB Scholarship for High Merit Technology (PhD), 2015-2018
- University of Ilorin Staff Development Awards (SDA) PhD, 2015-2019
- COWBELL/JAMB Scholarship Award (Undergraduate), 2004/2005
Academic and professional experience
- Assistant Lecturer, University of Ilorin, Nigeria. 2011
Membership of learned professional societies
- Member, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE),,2013-2016
- Member, World Economic Association (WEA),,2012 to date
- Student Member, American Geophysical Union,,2015-2018
Jubril’s publications can be accessed on Scopus
Animashaun J. O. (2017). Consumers’ evaluation of Genetically Modiﬁed (GM) food: A Meta- review and Implications for policy regulation in Africa. In progress
Major conferences attended with papers read
- Animashaun, J. O. (2013): Strategies for Combating Global Food Insecurity: The Food Profligacy and Loss Nexus. Article published by the Innovative Ideas to Feed the World Young Professionals Conference FAO Headquarters, May 2013 Competition pp8. Assessed online.
- Animashaun, J.O. (2013). Prospects of Agriculture Enterprise for Sustainable Economic Development: Success Story of University of Ilorin Moringa Value-Addition Activities. Invited paper presented at the 4th International Conference of the African Association of Agricultural Economists, September 22-25, 2013, Hammamet, Tunisia
- Animashaun, J.O., Ojehomon, V.E.T., Muhammad-Lawal, A. and Amolegbe, K.B (2013). Between Vertical Foreign Direct Investment (VFDI) and Outsourcing: Which Policy Strategy Will Enhance the Competitiveness of the Nigerian Rice Sector? Paper presented at the 3rd African Rice Congress, Yaounde, Cameroon held between October 21 to October 27, 2013.
School of Social Science
The University of Manchester
3rd Floor, Arthur Lewis Building
Manchester, M13 9PL, UK