MA Political Science - Philosophy and Political Theory / Course details
Year of entry: 2018
- You are interested in politics and philosophy and the interactions between these disciplines
- You want to learn in small, intensive, discussion-based seminar groups
- You are interested in opportunities to connect abstract philosophical arguments to concrete political situations
This new pathway offers a specialisation in political theory, while also deepening your knowledge in other areas of philosophy. Students must have some Philosophy in their undergraduate degree. It is particularly suited for students from PPE, Philosophy and Law, or Philosophy and Politics undergraduate programmes. This is a course taught by both philosophy and politics discipline areas for high quality students tapping into the exceptionally large and talented group of staff who work in political theory and in philosophy at The University of Manchester.
Contact: Dr Stephanie Collins
Tel: +44 (0)161 276 8028
Teaching and learning
IMPORTANT NOTE ON PART-TIME STUDY
Part-time students complete the full-time programme over two years. There are NO evening or weekend course units available on the part-time programme.
You must first check the schedule of the compulsory modules and then select your optional modules to suit your requirements.
Updated timetable information will be available from mid-August and you will have the opportunity to discuss your module choices during induction week with your Course Director
Course unit details
Why is this course for me?
- You don't want to pick between Politics and Philosophy.
- You want to focus on analytic political theory -- issues of justice, rights, freedom, and equality -- while also sampling other philosophy courses -- on aesthetics, emotion, action, and science.
- You want to learn in small, intensive, discussion-based seminar groups.
Course unit list
The course unit details given below are subject to change, and are the latest example of the curriculum available on this course of study.
|Philosophy of Mind||PHIL60072||15||Optional|
|Philosophy of Language||PHIL60081||15||Optional|
|Thinking About Values in Aesthetics||PHIL60282||15||Optional|
|Politics, Economics and Environment||POEC61002||15||Optional|
|Governing in an Unjust World||POLI60182||15||Optional|
|The Ethics Of Killing||POLI60221||15||Optional|
|Dissertation Research Design||POLI60312||15||Optional|
|Political Theory Research Training Seminar||POLI70601||15||Optional|
|Displaying 10 of 13 course units|
|Display all course units|