Why study here?
We offer a variety of study pathways, allowing you to combine philosophy with economics, politics, maths and physics.
If you choose to study philosophy with us you will:
- join a lively undergraduate community, with several student societies (eg the Philosophy Society and PPE Society) and regular social events
- be welcomed at our research seminars, public lectures, conferences and workshops
- follow in the footsteps of past students who have gone on to pursue a wide range of careers, including law, politics, journalism and teaching
- have the opportunity to spend a semester studying philosophy abroad in your second year - find out more on the central University study abroad page
- study with researchers in philosophy who have an international reputation; our staff publish articles in some of the best philosophy journals in the world, as well as research monographs and textbooks.
Broad areas of study
You will tackle analytical philosophy, including freedom of the will, the theory of knowledge, moral philosophy, phenomenology and aesthetics, as well as influential philosophers such as Bertrand Russell and Ludwig Wittgenstein.
We also offer a distinctive course on philosophical methods in the second year.
We also offer a varied mix of pathways, allowing you to study philosophy in combination with a wide range of other disciplines, including economics, politics, maths and physics.
Find out more
- Find out more about life as a Philosophy student at Manchester by joining our Facebook group. Feel free to post a question.