Our free Discover Days encourage young people to try out the life of a philosophy student.
Who is it for?
This annual free event is for Year 12 students and their teachers who are interested in philosophy.
What is Philosophy?
There’s no simple answer to that! But here’s a selection of philosophical questions such as:
- What makes our actions right or wrong?
- Is it OK to torture one innocent person in order to save the lives of a hundred others?
- Does God exist?
- How can we know anything about the world around us?
- Is my mind just my brain?
- Should we trust doctors more than homeopaths?
- What is truth?
- Is democracy better than dictatorship?
- Is it rational to fear death?
- What is time?
If you find these kinds of questions interesting, then come along to the Philosophy Discover Day and find out more.
You don't need to have studied philosophy before and you might just have some fun.
You can come to philosophy with any academic background - you just need curiosity and an open mind.
Philosophy asks – and tries to answer – the kinds of deep and puzzling questions that other subjects don’t answer.
So if you’re interested in truth, beauty, right and wrong, justice, the nature of science, how language works, the meaning and value of life, the existence of God, the difference between rational and irrational beliefs, then philosophy is for you.
What happens at a Discover Philosophy Day?
- hear some short philosophical presentations, with a chance to ask questions, to give you a flavour for philosophical problems and arguments;
- be involved in a small-group workshop, investigating a specific philosophical issue in more depth;
- enjoy some short talks on what career opportunities are available to you with a philosophy degree;
- get advice on student finance; and
- have a Q and A session with philosophy students and staff.
The day ends with an optional campus tour, led by our friendly and helpful student ambassadors.
Students were able to get a taste of the thinking involved at undergraduate level and I think this was the key thing they’ll take away from today. The subject focus was good and sustained too.Teacher / Discover Philosophy Day
How do I sign up?
Information will be added to this page when registration for the 2016 Discover Philosophy Day is open.
If you’re a teacher and would like more information, please contact us using the email address below:
If you’re a student, you can sign up to the University of Manchester Aspiring Students Society (UMASS).